Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Bantayan Island, Holy Week, 11-16 April 2006

Day 5 (15 April ’06)

Saturday. That night was going to be the big party. So it was going to be pretty much a lazy day for me, just conserving my energy for the big party. Had my morning walk at the beach and my morning swim, around 8:00 – 9:30 am. It was a good time, coz the tide was relatively high, you don’t have to walk far out to the sea to get a good depth, that way you avoid going to the sea urchin territory. And, most importantly, it’s early enough that the hordes of people haven’t arrived yet. By noon, the beach and the sea were just dotted with people, it was almost impossible to swim in, it was the island’s big day.

Afternoon: walked to the beach again when I saw a big crowd surrounding something, then I saw Stanley looking for ice. He just told me that he needed me coz one of the guys he knew, Ken Onozawa, had an accident, and he took me to that crowd, and in the middle of the crowd was a guy in apparent pain. He twisted his left foot while skimboarding. I had to make an improvised splint using 2 sticks and a sarong. I had to accompany him to the hospital, good thing his brother was there with a car. We arrived at the hospital and there was no x-ray technician. Crap, all they did was make a more stable splint, with plaster of Paris and bandage. Party is over for Ken.

Well, night came, I didn’t go out until it was 11 pm. The bands were still playing when I arrived, not really my kind of party. Oh well, house and club music started playing at 3am, by then the people were wasted already, coz they started drinking by early afternoon. Not really one of the best parties I have been to. Saw Stanley and some of his skimboarding friends there, Obet was also there. By 5am, Stanley wanted to go home already to rest, coz we were departing the morning of Sunday. :-)

No comments: